Skip to main content

COVID-19 financial assistance

Government support if you're impacted by coronavirus

Page reading time: 2 minutes

Financial support is available to help you manage the affects of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

JobKeeper Payment

The JobKeeper Payment will help businesses to keep people in their jobs so they can earn an income, even if their hours have been cut.

Eligible businesses can access $1,500 a fortnight for 6 months to keep paying eligible employees. The JobKeeper Payment is also available to people who are self-employed.

Your employer will notify you if you're receiving the JobKeeper Payment. Most employees won't need to do anything, except:

For information on eligibility and how businesses can apply, visit The Treasury website.

Financial payments and support

Income support payments

The eligibility for some income support payments has been expanded to make them easier to claim.

You'll receive a temporary fortnightly $550 coronavirus supplement from 27 April 2020 if you’re getting:

You can also apply for a crisis payment if you need to self-isolate, are in severe financial hardship and you can get an income support payment

Household support payments

There are two automatic $750 Economic Support Payments. If you’re living in Australia and get an eligible payment, you will get two $750 payments:

Visit Services Australia for more information on payments and services if you're affected by COVID-19.

Early access to super

Some people can apply to access up to $10,000 of their super from 1 July until 24 September 2020.

You can apply to access your super if you are:

Your super is your retirement savings. Consider all your option before you apply to access your super.

Reduced drawdown and deeming rates for retirees

Drawdown rate for account-based pensions

If you have an account-based pension or a similar product, reduced drawdown rates will apply for 2019-20 and 2020-21. This will reduce your need to sell investment assets to fund minimum drawdown requirements.

Find the reduced drawdown rates on The Treasury website.

Deeming rates for the Age Pension and income support

From 1 May 2020, the upper deeming rate will be 2.25 per cent and the lower deeming rate will be 0.25 per cent.

For more information visit The Treasury website.

HomeBuilder grant

HomeBuilder gives eligible owner-occupiers, including first home buyers, a grant of $25,000 to build a new home or substantially renovate an existing home.

HomeBuilder grants are available during the second half of 2020. The building contract must be signed between 4 June and 31 December 2020, with construction to start within 3 months of signing.

For information on eligibility and how to apply, visit The Treasury website.

COVID-19 support in your state or territory

Your state or territory government can also help you find support during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Australian Capital Territory

New South Wales

Northern Territory

South Australia

Western Australia

Financial support for businesses

To help financially distressed businesses, the Government will:

For more information and other financial support in your state or territory, visit

Emergency, crisis and legal support

There are free services to help you with food, housing and bills. See urgent help with money.

You can access to free legal advice and support if you need it: