Buying shares can build your wealth over time. Like other investment options, there is risk involved, so you need to choose carefully. Find out how to research companies, buy and sell shares, and find a broker. And how to diversify and keep track of your portfolio.
How to invest in shares
- If you're new to shares — visit the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) education centre for information and online seminars.
- Decide what you want from shares — regular income or capital growth.
- Stay up-to-date — keep an eye on economic and financial market changes.
- Research and compare companies — start with what you know, consider the risks and returns.
- Diversify your portfolio — spread your investment across industry sectors to lower your risk.
- Keep track of your shares — set up company alerts and review them regularly.
- Get professional advice if you need it — talk to a broker, accountant or financial adviser.