Plan, research and diversify — these are the keys to successful investing. They'll help you find investments that fit your risk tolerance and investment time frame. And help you reach your financial goals sooner.
Golden rules of investing
- Pay off your debts first — pay off any loans, like a credit card or personal loan, before you invest.
- Have emergency savings — aim to have enough set aside to cover three months' expenses, so you won't have to sell an investment if you need cash quickly.
- Develop an investing plan — define your financial goals, risk tolerance and investment time frame.
- Research different asset classes — understand the risks and returns, and how they can help you reach your financial goals.
- Diversify your investments — spread your money across and within asset classes to lower your portfolio's risk.
- Keep track of your investments — review them regularly and make sure you're on track.