Home and contents insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing your house and your belongings when something goes wrong.
When buying insurance, focus on what you need, and what is (and isn't) covered by different policies.
Get the right cover to avoid being underinsured
- Accurately calculate the cost of rebuilding your house and the value of your belongings.
- Understand the difference between total replacement cover and sum-insured cover with home insurance.
- Make sure your contents insurance covers the replacement value of your belongings ('new for old').
- Check the exclusions — what is not covered.
- Check the maximum claim limits.
- Check if your contents insurance covers your mobile devices when you're away from home.
- If you live in a disaster-prone area, check your cover for storms, floods and fires.
If you’re struggling to pay your home insurance premiums or excess, contact your insurer straight away. Explain your situation and tell them you would like to apply for financial hardship. They may provide assistance to meet your excess if you need to make a claim.