Credit cards are part of everyday life. They let you carry less cash, pay for things with a tap or a swipe, and shop online.
But this convenience can come at a cost. The trick is to use your credit card wisely, and pay it back on time.
Find out how to choose a credit card that works for you, and get tips on paying it off faster. Understand credit card balance transfers, and how to cancel a credit card when you no longer need it.
Smart ways to use your credit card
- Find a card that suits your spending habits and the way you'll pay it off.
- Look for a low interest rate and features you'll use — make sure any rewards or extras are worth it.
- Stay on top of your spending — only spend what you can afford to pay back.
- Pay your bill on time every month — pay in full, or as much as you can.
- Check your statement and tell your credit provider if there's a charge you didn't make.
- If you're struggling with debt, avoid using your credit card to make ends meet. Find help to get debt under control.
If you bank with ANZ, Commonwealth, NAB or Westpac, you can share data from savings and transaction accounts and debit and credit cards. Find out more about the Consumer Data Right.