Stay up-to-date with Moneysmart through our news and social media posts.
How to set long-term financial habits
How to set good long-term financial habits
Kids and money
Australian student saving, spending and financial access:
- 81% of students have a bank account or a prepaid credit card
- 52% of students earn money from working outside school hours
- 57% of students regularly save money
- 67% of students save money specifically to buy something if they don’t have enough money.
Source: FPA Aug 2018.
- $1.5 billion from dormant bank accounts, shares, investments and life insurance policies is waiting to be claimed.
- Australians can do a free unclaimed money search on Moneysmart.gov.au
- Money becomes unclaimed when a bank account hasn’t been used for 7 years and contains a balance of $500 or more.
Source: ASIC Annual Report 2018-19.
- There are almost 16 million credit cards in Australia.
- 1 in 6 Australians are struggling with credit card debt with $29.5 billion owing on credit cards accruing interest.
- A credit card debt of $2,000 could take more than 12 years to pay off and cost around $2,150 in interest if the card holder only makes the minimum repayment.
- Consumers could have saved $621 million in interest if they had a lower interest rate card (July 2016 – June 2017).
- Consumers can use Moneysmart's credit card calculator to work out how long it will take to pay off their credit card debt.
Sources: RBA Nov 2018, ASIC July 2018.
- 74% of Australian households hold debt and the average household debt is $168,600.
- The most common form of debt is credit card debt, held by 55% of households, followed by home loans (34%) and student loans (17%).
- 77% of over-indebted households in Australia lacked sufficient ‘liquid‘ assets to cover a quarter of the value of their debts.
Source: ABS July 2018.
- 70% of Australian households own or are purchasing their home.
- 3.2 million Australians hold a mortgage over their primary residence.
- The average owner-occupied mortgage is $384,700 and the average life of a mortgage is 25 years.
Sources: Census 2016, ABS 2017-18, ABS Nov 2018.
Top tools and calculators
Moneysmart's most popular tool.
Our most popular tool every January for people starting their New Years resolutions.
Has helped over 1 million people plan for their retirement.
Helping Australian's calculate their super balance to prepare for the future.
Four million Australians have searched for their share of $1.5 billion in lost shares, bank accounts and life insurance.
T: 1300 208 215
Visit ASIC's news centre for more information.
Moneysmart social media
- Like Moneysmart on Facebook
- Follow Moneysmart on Twitter
- Subscribe to Moneysmart on YouTube
- Follow Moneysmart on Instagram
Writing for Moneysmart
Moneysmart does not accept contributions from external writers. All content is written in-house by a team of content designers.