This budget template enables you to:
- work out where your money is going
- create your own custom items
- change the currency
Use our Excel spreadsheet version if you want to access your budget across multiple devices.
For a quick and easy budgeting tool in community languages with audio, use our simple money manager. See further information and FAQs below.
The budget planner will automatically save your data onto your computer or mobile device. Your data may be lost if you change your device or clear your cache. Disable the autosave function by switching to "off".
Are you sure you want to remove all budget planner data on this device?
Loading budget planner...
This calculator helps you work out where your money is going, and whether your income covers your expenses.
- Frequency: Set payment frequency for each item — weekly, fortnightly, monthly, quarterly or annually. (Note: your results will be skewed if you don't set the right payment frequency.)
- Documentation required: For a more accurate picture of your finances, check your payslip for any deductions made in addition to tax (like superannuation, health insurance, company car). Add these amounts back into your income, then include them in your expenses.
- Autosave option: Your budget data is automatically saved onto your computer or mobile device, so you can come back to it later. Your data may be lost if you change your device or clear your cache. Disable the autosave function by switching to "off".
- Save the budget spreadsheet: Save your budget to your computer by using the Excel spreadsheet version. The Excel spreadsheet version allows for some customising (like renaming fields). If you save it to your cloud storage, you can access it from multiple devices or share it with your partner.
- Print: You can print your results.
Q: Can I create my own custom items?
A: Yes. To add your own items, go to settings and choose "enable custom items". You cannot change the label of the default items in the budget planner. But you can add your own sub items by clicking on the [add] link. You can also change the currency symbol under settings.
Q: Can I set a monthly budget and compare this with actual income and expenses?
A: No, the budget planner gives you a snapshot of what you spend your money on. We suggest you update your budget with actual income and expenses on a regular basis to make it as accurate as possible. If you are looking for something more detailed, you could consider buying bookkeeping software.
Q: How do I create and access multiple budgets?
A: Click on the menu in the budget planner header. Select 'Create new budget'.
Any budgets saved onto your computer or mobile device will appear in the menu.
Q: How can I print my budget or save it as a PDF?
A: If you're using a desktop/laptop, use the print menu in your browser or press Ctrl+P on a PC or Command+P on a Mac. Your print menu should also allow you to save/print as a PDF.
If you're using a tablet or mobile:
- Using Chrome on Android, click in the Chrome menu (three buttons), and choose Share, then Print. You can then select PDF as your printer
- Using Safari on iOS, press and hold the Home button and Sleep button to capture a screen shot. Then tap on the screenshot that is captured and change to Full page option. Then you can tap Done and save as PDF.
Q: How can I share a PDF of my budget?
A: Follow the steps above, and then attach the PDF to an email, or on a mobile device use the share menu after you have generated a PDF.