Students investigate the possible contents of 'shoeboxes of love' and create their own, which can be donated to children in need.
- discuss the difference between needs and wants.
- compare the needs of others to their own.
- use equivalent fractions.
- make connections between fractions and decimal notation.
- solve problems involving purchases.
- calculate change.
- compare prices of items across a range of vendors.
- present a plan for a 'shoebox of love'.
Learning area: Mathematics
Strand: Number and Algebra
- Sub-strand: Money and financial mathematics
- Solve problems involving purchases and the calculation of change to the nearest five cents with and without digital technologies (ACMNA080)
- Sub-strand: Fractions and decimals
- Investigate equivalent fractions used in contexts (ACMNA077)
- Recognise that the place value system can be extended to tenths and hundredths. Make connections between fractions and decimal notation (ACMNA079)
Strand: Measurement and Geometry
- Sub-strand: Using units of measurement
- Use scaled instruments to measure and compare lengths, masses, capacities and temperatures (ACMMG084)
- Compare objects using familiar metric units of area and volume (ACMMG290)
Learning area: English
- Sub-strand: Expressing and developing ideas
- Incorporate new vocabulary from a range of sources into students’ own texts including vocabulary encountered in research (ACELA1498)
- Sub-strand: Interacting with others
- Use interaction skills such as acknowledging another’s point of view and linking students’ response to the topic, using familiar and new vocabulary and a range of vocal effects such as tone, pace, pitch and volume to speak clearly and coherently (ACELY1688)
- Interpret ideas and information in spoken texts and listen for key points in order to carry out tasks and use information to share and extend ideas and information (ACELY1687)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations incorporating learned content and taking into account the particular purposes and audiences (ACELY1689)
Level 4: Typically, by the end of Year 4, students:
- compose and edit a range of learning area texts
- use pair, group and class discussions about learning area topics as learning tools to explore and represent ideas and relationships, test possibilities and to prepare for creating texts
- use a growing range of subject-specific vocabulary to read, discuss and write about learning area topics
- model, represent, order and use numbers up to five digits
- estimate a solution to a problem then check the solution by recalling addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts
- estimate the change from simple purchases
- visualise, describe and order tenths, hundredths, 1-place and 2-place decimals
- solve problems using equivalent fractions for tenths, hundredths, 1-place and 2-place decimals
- collect, record and display data as tables, diagrams, picture graphs and column graphs
- describe possible outcomes from chance experiments using informal chance language and recognising variations in results
- estimate, measure and compare the length, temperature, volume, capacity and mass of everyday objects using metric units and scaled instruments
- locate, retrieve or generate information from a range of digital sources
- create and modify simple digital solutions, creative outputs or data representation/ transformation for particular purposes
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- collect, compare and categorise facts and opinions found in a widening range of sources
- reflect on, explain and check the processes used to come to conclusions
- identify and apply appropriate reasoning and thinking strategies for particular outcome
- draw on prior knowledge and use evidence when choosing a course of action or drawing a conclusion
- explain and justify ideas and outcomes
- Personal and Social Capability
- identify the various communities to which they belong and what they can do to make a difference
- Intercultural Understanding
- identify and describe variability within and across cultural groups
- imagine and describe the feelings of others in a range of contexts